I popped into an op shop, had a look around, there was nothing much, on my way out I see this little sweetie with all those curves — and a $6.99 price tag.
One or two coats of a thick enamel paint isn't too much of a challenge with a sander on a small surface.
Using 80-grit sandpaper, finishing with 180-grit, it took about 20-30 minutes, fully geared up with respirator and goggles because you just do not know what nasties are in that paint!
There are a heap of blog posts out there on this technique, so have a look at them before moving forward, here are two of my favourites (call me biased...):
• Chasing Spring — A gorgeous blog that covers this step beautifully with helpful photos and a review of Old World Paint as well!
• Miss Mustard Seed — She's written a number of great posts on this technique. This is her latest.
Although Mod Podge is great and I use it often, I adore multi-purpose products. Old World Liquid Sealer* worked quickly and effortlessly as decoupage and left a gorgeous, durable gloss.
*available May 2016
1. Layout your design if doing a collage
2. Trim to fit
3. Brush the drawer inside with Sealer*
4. Brush the back and front of the paper with Sealer
5. Place your paper carefully
6. Push out any bubbles with a flat, straight surface like a credit card or a scraper being careful not to tear it
7. Brush on final coat of Sealer taking care to ensure seams are thoroughly coated
*Fusion/MMS Tough Coat works well too!
Old World Antiquing Wax (coming soon) is a gorgeous colour. A perfect rustic custom blend that isn't too brown and isn't too black...stay tuned for its arrival soon.
Brushed on, let sit 15-30minutes, then wipe away the excess with a clean, lint-free cloth.
Add more coats or mix with clear Old World Polishing Wax to alter the colour of stain to your liking.
Industrial White is a fantastic go-to that pairs well with most colours. Not quite grey, not quite white with exceptional coverage. Two coats were painted over the raw timber shelving, one after the other as it dries quickly.
The final touch was added with the Leopard Shell Knob which plays beautifully off the new-old timber top.